Mark A8944

Last login: 4 years ago
Profile viewed: 855 views

No Rank

Mark A8944 created a new topic ' Specify SQLite database location using IP address' in the forum. 4 years ago

Greetings

I'm developing an Android application using Delphi Tokyo 10.2 running on a Windows 10 platform. This application needs to connect to an SQLite database which resides on a Windows computer on the local network. Internet is not involved.

I have tried all sorts of combinations in my Android app using the IP address, but the application cannot find the database on the Windows computer. How is the "Database" parameter to be set up under these circumstances?

P.S. The Windows computer is accessible to the tablet.

Thanks

Mark

Read More...

Mark A8944 replied to the topic 'A question for SQL Server Experts: Delphi database access' in the forum. 5 years ago

Hi and thanks for responding!

I'm doing a horse registry system which is currently hosted on a SQL server database. It will be accessed through the office network, with no plans on accessing it remotely. I'm not sure of the version of Sql Server, but it's one of the later versions.

My problem is that I spent years doing desktop database (Paradox) applications using ttable components for the main tables, and tquery components in reports for selections. As I progressed, I heard things like ttables should be avoided due to performance problems, that doing a query would retrieve the entire database over the network to your computer, etc.

I think most of these problems are more an issue with the database engine (such as the BDE), but I'm taking that on faith. In the particular system that I'll be working on, I'll have entry/inquiry screens that will search for a particular record. I can either do a FDQuery on it, or I can call a FTTable.findkey method. Both return the record, and performance seems to be equivalent, so I worry about what's happening in the background. Does one approach generate more traffic than the other? Does one approach cause problems with the back-end databases, such as hung transactions?

It seems that Firedac should handle all of the problems such as performance overhead, excessive traffic during queries, etc.

I want to make this system as clean and efficient as possible, but I also want to make sure that I don't introduce any errors into the database.

In a nutshell, I'm worried about the hidden "gotchas" that may exist.

I know that this is a rambling sort of response, but I hope you catch what I'm trying to do (and avoid) here.

Thanks so much.

Mark

Read More...

Mark A8944 created a new topic ' A question for SQL Server Experts: Delphi database access' in the forum. 5 years ago

Greetings

I have been a Delphi developer for many years, and have used many databases. I 'm about to tackle my first SQL Server project.

I use Rad Studio 10.2 Tokyo on a Windows 10 server. I use FireDac for the database components.

I would appreciate someone helping me understand the design ramifications between the following two approaches:

Database access using FDtables, and calling table.findkey, table.edit, table.post, or table.delete methods as opposed to coding sql select, insert, modify, and delete statements.

My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that the edit, insert, and delete methods are simply wrappers around the corresponding sql statements mentioned above.

I've done it both ways, and I don't see a big difference in response time, so I'm hoping for guidance. I want to approach this project with the proper mindset.

Thanks so much

Mark Anderson

Read More...

Mark A8944 replied to the topic 'Delphi 10 Seattle cannot find my Android Galaxy S3' in the forum. 7 years ago

Thanks, Marcu. Any idea where I can find them? I've been through the Delphi documentation, but it's only good through Windows 8. I've tried the Samsung site, but can't find anything either.
I'm sure it's a simple driver fix, but it's not turning out to be simple. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Mark

Read More...

Mark A8944 created a new topic ' Delphi 10 Seattle cannot find my Android Galaxy S3' in the forum. 7 years ago

Greetings

I recently upgraded to Delphi 10 Seattle, and am attempting to build my first multi-device application. I have all of the SDK's loaded, and everything shows up correctly as explained in the video. When I go to deploy to my Galaxy S3, it tells me that it cannot detect the phone, which is connected via USB. I installed the generic Google driver.

I'm running under Windows 10, so I'm wondering if Samsung has drivers for the phones so that it can be recognized. What driver should I be using?
Thanks Mark

Read More...

Mark A8944 created a new topic ' Delphi 10 Seattle cannot find my Android Galaxy S3' in the forum. 7 years ago

Greetings
I recently upgraded to Delphi 10 Seattle, and am attempting to build my first multi-device application. I have all of the SDK's loaded, and everything shows up correctly as explained in the video. When I go to deploy to my Galaxy S3, it tells me that it cannot detect the phone, which is connected via USB. I installed the generic Google driver.
I'm running under Windows 10, so I'm wondering if Samsung has drivers for the phones so that it can be recognized.
What driver should I be using?

Thanks

Mark

Read More...