Keith H7389

Last login: 4 years ago
Profile viewed: 1,057 views

No Rank

Keith H7389 replied to the topic 'Stand alone Delphi exe?' in the forum. 4 years ago

Okay, so unchecking "link with runtime packages" did the trick? It just still creates a load of dcu's anyway that I really don't need to deploy?

Read More...

Keith H7389 created a new topic ' Delphi TColor formats' in the forum. 4 years ago

Could someone explain to me the color strategy in Delphi? It seems very unusual compared to everything else I've worked in. I don't understand the numeric designations. I know I can say this:

var myColor: TColor;
myColor := rgb(158,54,210)
or
myColor := clYellow;

I get all that.

But I wanted to set up some color constants and it for obvious reasons can't use the rgb function. It has to be like this:

const myColor := $651541;

It's clearly not a hex color. I tried that. I used all sorts of converters online and on my system to convert an rgb code to some sort of numeric value I could use but it never came out right.

I even tried this to figure out the code:

var x: TColor;
x := TColor(rgb(158,54,210))
and then put a break point on x so I could see what it was. That didn't work either. What I expected to be beige turned out to be some sort of blue.

How do I convert something like rgb(158,54,210) to a $ color code that I can use in code? This is very annoying sometimes. Like I said, I've used all sorts of other systems and this seems quite different and I'm not finding anything useful online to help me understand this even in the Embarcadero Delphi documentation pages.

And when I go into a color setting in the properties window of a control and try using what's supposed to be hex according to Delphi documentation, that doesn't work right either. None of this really makes any sense. I ended up bailing on my constants and just used variables that I set to rgb colors in the startup routine of my application but I'd really like to know how this is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Keith

Read More...

Keith H7389 replied to the topic 'Stand alone Delphi exe?' in the forum. 4 years ago

Here's the first one

Read More...

Well, it only let me post one at a time. And it didn't like that I had spaces in the names. Let's try again.

Read More...

Here they are one at a time. The problem is that it takes so long for a moderator to approve messages here I don't see them until a while after they've posted. I'm not used to that. Most good sites like DevExpress and CodeProject don't wait for moderators and most, again like DevExpress and CodeProject, don't dump image quality. Here they are again one at a time.

Read More...

Keith H7389 replied to the topic 'accessing a c++ DLL from Rad Studio 10 Delphi' in the forum. 4 years ago

Remy, I just landed on this thread. It's relevant to my situation where I'm trying to get my own .net DLL to work in Delphi. I also just tonight found out about CrossTalk and the trial version of that got it to work. However, I can write my DLL in whatever way I want because of course it's mine. I've tried everything I know to do but I'm not a DLL expert by any means. I can build it with COM turned on. But I wasn't getting anywhere that way. you wrote "in which case you can use Delphi's native COM interop features" on this thread. Where is that in Delphi?

Read More...

Yep. That was what I found in my research before posting. It's false by default, at least on my installation. I still end up with what you see in my screenshot. And I cant' seem to get it to go to a "release" folder either. Always the debug folder.

Read More...

Keith H7389 created a new topic ' Stand alone Delphi exe?' in the forum. 4 years ago

In the Delphi 7 project I worked on years ago we set it up as a stand-alone exe. Even in Delphi 10.2, which I converted it to recently, when I compile it, it creates a stand-alone exe in the root source code folder. I use lots of 3rd party tools but I've never needed their dcu files when I deploy the application. I have a vague recollection of making some setting in the project options that let us do this but that was a very long time ago. I tried finding the setting I made both in my Delphi 7 environment for the application and my Delphi 10.2 environment. I can't find it. I thought it was something with linking but all the info I find online doesn't make sense with what my settings are. Can anyone tell me if I were to create a new blank VCL Windows Forms application, where is the setting to do this? When i create a new project, it automatically puts the exe in a <Project folder>\Win32\Debug folder along with dcu files, similar to when I create an application in Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Keith :-)

Read More...

Keith H7389 replied to the topic 'Posting example code?????' in the forum. 4 years ago

Okay. I'll try these next time. The feedback I got from the the site when I tried to post it was pretty bleak. It didn't offer any suggestions. It just said I wasn't allowed to post code. Very strange.

Read More...

Keith H7389 replied to the topic 'F3 search - start from cursor INSTEAD OF TOP OF UNIT' in the forum. 4 years ago

Very cool. Thanks. So obvious I didn't even see it! :-)

Read More...

Keith H7389 created a new topic ' Calling a dll from Delphi' in the forum. 4 years ago

I'm using DevExpress' TdxSpreadSheet control to export data to Excel. I'm not using TdxSpreadSheet as a control on any forms, just in code to create spreadsheets and then export as xlsx files. It works very well, it's intuitive, and it's fast.It does almost everything I need. But, it can't reproduce Excel's data validation and I need that. However, their WinForms spreadsheet control DOES support Excel's validation. So it occurred to me that I could create a dll in Visual Studio with their WinForms spreadsheet control to do the exprot and call that dll from my Delphi Tokyo project. Is this possible and can anyone point to some advice on this idea?

Thanks,

Keith

Read More...

Keith H7389 created a new topic ' F3 search - start from cursor INSTEAD OF TOP OF UNIT' in the forum. 4 years ago

In most other systems I've used, if I hit F3 to start a new search, it starts the search from the point where I'm at. In Delphi, it ALWAYS zooms back tot he top of the unit. If I've got a thousand lines of code in a unit I'm often looking for instances of something close to where I'm at, not back at the start of the code. Yes, I know I can select a block of text and have it search the selected text. That's not what I need here. Is there a way to tell Delphi to NOT jump to the top of the unit?

Read More...

Keith H7389 created a new topic ' Posting example code?????' in the forum. 4 years ago

I just tried posting a rather long question with a bunch of sample code I'm using in my old Delphi 7 project I'm upgrading to Delphi 10.2 and this awful forum blocked me from posting it. Wow. How are we supposed to get things answered if we cannot post ACTUAL code?

Read More...

Keith H7389 replied to the topic 'Controls are moved far too easily on forms' in the forum. 4 years ago

I love the guidelines snapping in Visual Studio and the FastReport designer. It can be so helpful. But I turned it off per your suggestion and so far it has seemed to alleviate the problem. Thanks.

Read More...

Keith H7389 replied to the topic 'How to open dpr file in IDE?' in the forum. 4 years ago

Awesome. Thanks. :-)

Read More...

Keith H7389 created a new topic ' How to open dpr file in IDE?' in the forum. 4 years ago

This feels like a very silly question. In Delphi 7 it was easy to do this. It appeared in the list of units. But in the latest version it's not in the project manager window at all. And when I use the File->Open dialog, I can see my dpr file and select it but when I open it, it doesn't actually open at all in a tab. The only way I've figured out to get it to open is one of 2 ways. If I close ALL my tabs before closing my project, when I reopen the project, my dpr file is opened up automatically. OR, if I edit the dpr file outside the IDE and put a line in that causes an error, then when I compile, it opens up the dpr to the error. There's got to be an easier way to open my dpr file from inside the IDE. How?

Read More...

Keith H7389 created a new topic ' Hiding non-visual control captions PER FORM' in the forum. 4 years ago

I think there's a way to tell the IDE to NOT show non-visual control's captions, but I ONLY want to do this in a single form, not all of them. Is this possible?

Read More...

Keith H7389 replied to the topic 'Can't get Lockbox to install correctly' in the forum. 4 years ago

This is okay now sort of. It's been confirmed to me from Embarcadero support that it's a bug in the installation into the IDE. I had to install BOTH lockbox packages even though I only need one of them. When I installed both, it worked.

Read More...

Keith H7389 created a new topic ' Controls are moved far too easily on forms' in the forum. 4 years ago

I've never see this in an IDE before. I've been programming for over 20 years. I generally work in VS but lately I'm reworking an old Delphi 7 app into Delphi 10.2. The fact that there's no UNDO for visual changes to forms in the IDE is kinda insane in this day and age but it wouldn't be so bad if controls weren't so easy to bump out of place accidentally. When I'm working in VS and I click on a control in order to set properties I don't really have to be very careful. I mean I'm careful but it's not super easy to move a control by mistake just by left clicking it to make it active. And I don't remember having this much trouble in D7. I'm working on the same hardware and the same OS in both VS 2017, Access 2016, and Delphi 10.2. So it's not my hardware or OS. So I'm wondering if there's some setting I can make in the Delphi IDE that will make the controls far less sensitive to movement. I know I can lock them in place but that's pretty much nonsense most of the time. I'm getting pretty frustrated with having to be so careful when I click on an editor to set properties just so it doesn't accidentally move up or down on the form. And again, the fact that the developers STILL, after all these years, haven't added an UNDO feature makes it even worse to deal with.

Thanks,

Keith

Read More...