David K61224

Last login: 5 months ago
Profile viewed: 231 views

No Rank

David K61224 replied to the topic 'Delphi Community Edition - unable to build 64-bit Windows target' in the forum. 5 months ago

Maybe in the next release of Delphi, the developers could modify the error message to display the name of the file that couldn't be found. It might be a little more helpful in determining the cause of the error.

Read More...

David K61224 replied to the topic 'Delphi Community Edition - unable to build 64-bit Windows target' in the forum. 5 months ago

Has anyone been able to successfully build a 64-bit Windows target with the Community Edition? Or am I just wasting my time trying?

Read More...

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was compiling for release mode. If I understand you correctly, I don't need to worry about my AV software in that case. But thanks for the tip.

Read More...

David K61224 replied to the topic 'Delphi Community Edition cannot open an existing project' in the forum. 5 months ago

Yes, I can. And I can now open an existing project too (see my reply to Glenn). Thanks.

Read More...

David K61224 replied to the topic 'Delphi Community Edition cannot open an existing project' in the forum. 5 months ago

I'm able to open the project now. I think Glenn's hunch is correct.

Read More...

I installed it as admin. I don't remember if I closed it after installing, or just started using it right away. I'll try opening the project again. Thanks.

Read More...

David K61224 created a new topic ' Delphi Community Edition - unable to build 64-bit Windows target' in the forum. 5 months ago

I'm trying to build a project with 64-bit Windows as the target, but I'm getting this error message:

"Unable to create process: The system cannot find the file specified."

However, when I specify 32-bit Windows as the target, it builds and runs successfully. Here are the lines in the .dproj file:

<Platforms>
                <Platform value="Win32">True</Platform>
                <Platform value="Win64">True</Platform>
</Platforms>

And in the Project Manager, I see both targets listed. Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.

Read More...

David K61224 created a new topic ' Delphi Community Edition cannot open an existing project' in the forum. 5 months ago

I've just installed the Delphi Community Edition (after uninstalling the Starter Edition), but when I try to open an existing project (which I could previously open with the Starter Edition), I just get an error message saying "The project can not be loaded because the required personality Delphi.Personality is not available." How do I fix this?

Read More...

David K61224 replied to the topic 'Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together?' in the forum. 5 months ago

Didn't seem to work, but thanks anyway. Maybe they've closed that loophole. Why they let people use the Starter edition of Delphi or C++ Builder but not both, I don't understand. I guess I'll just have to run them on two computers. I can't afford to buy the commercial license for RAD Studio, unfortunately.

Read More...

David K61224 replied to the topic 'Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together?' in the forum. 5 months ago

I take it the answer is "no", then. I was referring specifically to the starter editions, not the commercial editions. I don't see any starter edition for RAD Studio. So you have to buy a license, correct?

Read More...

David K61224 created a new topic ' Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together?' in the forum. 5 months ago

Is it possible to install the Delphi Starter edition and the C++ Builder Starter edition on the same computer? When I tried to install C++ Builder on a computer which already had Delphi installed, a message popped up saying I had to uninstall Delphi first (or words to that effect). I ended up installing Delphi on my desktop and C++ Builder on my laptop, but it's rather inconvenient. I'd like to install both of them on my desktop (which I mostly use for development).

Thanks.

Read More...

David K61224 replied to the topic 'Questions about "Using the IDE" tutorial' in the forum. 8 months ago

Thanks, but that wasn't the problem. There were a couple of things missing from the "Uses" statement (sort of equivalent to the "include" statement in C/C++). I had to add FMX.Memo.Types and FMX.DialogService.Sync to the "Uses" statement in the tutorial.

Read More...

David K61224 created a new topic ' Questions about "Using the IDE" tutorial' in the forum. 9 months ago

I recently downloaded and installed the Starter edition of Delphi, and I was going through one of the tutorials, "Using the IDE" ( docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Tokyo/...orial:_Using_the_IDE ) and ran into a few problems compiling it. I get the following errors:

[dcc32 Error] TextEditorUnit.pas(97): E2003 Undeclared identifier: 'TDeleteOption'
[dcc32 Error] TextEditorUnit.pas(97): E2029 ']' expected but identifier 'MoveCaret' found
[dcc32 Error] TextEditorUnit.pas(131): E2003 Undeclared identifier: 'TDialogServiceSync'
[dcc32 Error] TextEditorUnit.pas(131): E2066 Missing operator or semicolon
[dcc32 Error] TextEditorUnit.pas(184): E2003 Undeclared identifier: 'TDialogServiceSync'
[dcc32 Error] TextEditorUnit.pas(184): E2066 Missing operator or semicolon
[dcc32 Fatal Error] TextEditor.dpr(6): F2063 Could not compile used unit 'TextEditorUnit.pas'

I've double-checked the spelling and I don't see any typos, it appears to match exactly the code in the tutorial. But here are the three lines flagged by the compiler:
097:    Editor.DeleteFrom(Editor.CaretPosition, 1, [TDeleteOption.MoveCaret]);
131:    UserResponse := TDialogServiceSync.MessageDialog(
184:      UserResponse := TDialogServiceSync.MessageDialog(

Am I missing something, or is the tutorial no longer working correctly? Is it because I'm using the starter edition and I'm missing some libraries or something?

Thanks.

Read More...

David K61224 replied to the topic 'Recommended books for Delphi?' in the forum. 9 months ago

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Read More...

David K61224 created a new topic ' Recommended books for Delphi?' in the forum. 9 months ago

I've just downloaded the starter edition and I'm looking for books on Delphi. Is "Delphi in a Nutshell" by Ray Lischner still relevant? It was published in 2000, so I'm wondering if it's too out-of-date to be useful. And where can I find the eBook edition of "Object Pascal Handbook" by Marco Cantù? It's supposed to be available for free, but I can't find a link to the pdf anywhere. Any other recommendations, besides the books published by Packt? (I'm not a big fan of their books, I think they're very poorly edited.)

Thanks.

Read More...