Tamarian D2278

Last login: 5 years ago
Profile viewed: 1,399 views

Your Rank: 58

Tamarian D2278 is friends with AnilTX

Joy Ruff is friends with Tamarian D2278

Сегодня, Джозеф D'Antoni, Microsoft MVP пройдет вебинар по управлению окружающей среды базы данных мульти-платформы. Как некоторые из вас знают, что он работал на обоих Oracle и SQL Server на протяжении всей моей карьеры, каждый СУБД имеет то нюансы, ...

Hoje, Joseph D'Antoni, Microsoft MVP estará hospedando um webinar sobre o gerenciamento de um ambiente de banco de dados multi-plataforma. Como alguns de vocês sabem, ele trabalhou em ambos Oracle e SQL Server durante toda a minha carreira, cada RDBM ...

今日、ヨセフD'アントニは、マイクロソフトMVPは、マルチプラットフォームのデータベース環境の管理に関するWebセミナーを開催します。あなた方のうちの何人かが知っているように、彼はそれがニュアンスた私のキャリア、各RDBMSを通じてOracleとSQL Serverの両方に取り組んでいます、そして、彼らは非常に困難新しいプラットフォームへの移行を行うのに十分なだけ異なっています。マルチプラットフォーム環境◾Compareでの作業に◾Challengesや組織の70%ことが最近彼は興味深い研究に出 ...

Aujourd'hui, Joseph D'Antoni, Microsoft MVP sera l'hôte d'un webinaire sur la gestion d'un environnement de base de données multi-plate-forme. Comme certains d'entre vous le savent, il a travaillé à la fois sur Oracle et SQL Server au long de ma carr ...

Hoy, Joseph D'Antoni, Microsoft MVP será el anfitrión de un seminario sobre la gestión de un entorno de base de datos multi-plataforma. Como algunos de ustedes saben, que ha trabajado tanto en Oracle y SQL Server en toda mi carrera, cada RDBMS que ha ...

Heute Joseph D'Antoni, Microsoft MVP wird präsentiert ein Webinar über die Verwaltung einer Multi-Plattform-Datenbankumgebung. Wie einige von euch wissen, ist er sowohl auf Oracle und SQL Server während meiner ganzen Karriere-jedem RDBMS gearbeitet h ...

Today, Joseph D'Antoni, Microsoft MVP will be hosting a webinar on managing a multi-platform database environment. As some of you know, he's worked on both Oracle and SQL Server throughout my career—each RDBMS has it nuances, and they are just differ ...

Encontre os melhores declarações agressor para uma carga de trabalho específica pode ser difícil se você não está usando a melhor ferramenta em sua caixa de ferramentas. No SQL Server 2012 e daqui para frente você capaz de alavancar eventos estendidos que estão incluídos dentro do SQL Server Manager Studio (SSMS) para construir você está estendido primeiro evento para capturar sua carga de trabalho.  

O molho secreto para as ferramentas evento estendido construir em SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) são as características que você pode usar uma vez sua carga de trabalho é capturado. Você pode agrupar seus principais ofensores pelas declarações identificador único, também conhecido como o hash de consulta. Uma vez que seu dados capturados são agrupados por um identificador único (hash de consulta), você também pode agregar a carga de trabalho capturada para que você possa encontrar as suas declarações infrator melhores em sua carga de trabalho de duração, escreve, lê ou CPU. Isso tudo é feito sem escrever uma única linha de código.

Neste vídeo de cinco minutos, você aprenderá a criar um evento estendido para encontrar os melhores infratores para sua carga de trabalho e você vai aprender como grupo e agregar sua carga de trabalho para encontrar suas cargas de trabalho principais infractores.

If I had a nickel for every time someone gave me a list of identifiers and asked me to pull a result set for them I would be a very wealthy man. Over the years this is an endless request. I used to use several different tools like excel for example to convert the list of identifiers into SQL Statements. I would then use set based logic to complete my task inside SQL Server.

Being a SQL Server Database Administrator I like to use one consistent tool for working with queries. One day I noticed an interesting feature inside of the search and replace functionality inside Management Studio.  I could utilize regular expression as a tool in my tool belt for manipulating text inside of SQL Server Management Studio. This gave me the functionality to stay within my preferred tool for doing SQL Server development work.

In order to use regular expressions with the find and replace tool expand the Find Options menu.

Once you click on this menu you will see that you can leverage regular expressions.

If you want to see how you can quickly manipulate the identifiers and convert them into table variable check out the video below.

Tamarian D2278 created a new article 2015 DB PowerStudio Roadmap 6 years ago

DB PowerStudio XE7 Release Features

• 24/7 monitoring, performance analysis and user customizable alerting
  • Improved blocking and locking analysis
  • Improved DBMS memory usage analysis
  • Performance and trending analysis reports
  • IO performance vs. throughput analysisDBMS Statistics Image
  • Baselining
  • Improved performance of the SQL written in the SQL editors of DB Artisan & Rapid SQL by showing production DBMS statistics such as: DBMS Statistics Image
    • Column level cardinality
    • Data skew
    • Index usage
    • Data churn rates
    • Table sizes and scan rates etc.

DB PowerStudio XE8 Roadmap Vision

• VMWare aware metrics and "noisy neighbor" correlations
  • Compression performance analysis
  • Additional DBMS platform support for 24/7 monitoring
  • Community metric comparisons
  • Dynamic SQL adjustment
  • Full web based UI
  • Oracle RAC, OEM, performance pack metrics and visibility

* Features in this roadmap are subject to change

NOTE:  DB PowerStudio (DBPS) product suite consists of:  DBArtisan, Rapid SQL, DB Optimizer and DB Change Manager

It was couple of years back that my friend had written this article on my blog - Interview Questions and Answers – Perspectives of an Author. I know a lot of that content is like golden words. All of us have been through the rigors of giving an interview and I am sure many have cracked it easily. This blog post is not a rehash of what was talked earlier but an addendum to the post out there.

Coming back to the topic of interviews, it is one of the most critical and important part of every IT professional. Everyone attending interviews don’t crack it the first time or if you are a first timer you are bound to have your share of learnings from the interview. I have always considered interviews as a two way street, you show your competency on one side and learn the competencies you lack on the other side. If you go with this mindset you are sure to learn and become better in every interview you face.

In this blog post, I will highlight 3 soft competencies that will surely get your hiring employer interested in you. So here are some core competencies:

Positive Attitude

This is the easiest of competencies to explain. When you start your conversation, make sure you bring in the positive vibes. Things like making a smile while you shake your hand, making an extra effort to add anecdotes to real life examples are just some to mention. There are always people who are naturally high on energy and bubbly in their conversations. But for those who are introverts, extra effort is needed to engage with others and not seem stand-offish. Make sure you explain and talk about how you were able to motivate the team in achieving the task and how you contributed to it. Such examples get the attention of the interviewer. 

One of the other ways positive attitude can be displayed is via your confidence. Your self-confidence in conversations, examples you give, the way you are dressed, the way you shake hands, the way you approach a problem – all these make a lasting impression.

How you handle customers?

These days organizations are looking at your social skills and how you handle people. They realize that customers respond favorable if you can relate to them and if you are genuinely trying to solve their problem. Customers want you to understand them and in the process they become comfortable talking to you. I have seen, if you are candid and vocal to your customers and if you build that trust. Even if the customer is not giving business to you today, they surely will return to you in the future as they have started believing in you. So make sure you show how you have been interacting with customers and how you turned around the customer by not being unethical.

Team player in solving problems

Today’s world is all about team and this is the easiest thing to showcase in any interview. Though you can be an individual contributor from time to time, you must still instill the confidence that you can be a great team player. Show how you can easily transition from individual to team player to being a leader that motivates others. As part of this, you must show how you can be creative in solving problems when faced with tough issues. Show you can be a leader in taking ownership of problems rather than waiting for someone else to solve the same. These are characteristics that you should be able to talk and illustrate with examples in a live interview.

Conclusion

On a closing note, in my opinion these are some of the non-negotiable traits I would expect in an interview. If you surf the internet you are going to get 100 other traits like flexibility, working under pressure, adaptability, communication skills, work ethics, listening skills, time management, negotiation, corporate communication and many more. I agree all of them are important and super critical in different situations. These were just my top 3 that I felt are relevant for the current trends in the market.

Over the past decade, I have developed and given many technical presentations that range from being cultural, based on depth of audience or on diversity in level of understanding. I have found that the art to a good presentation, is being able to adapt the content to the situation and deliver the content based on the audience perceived expectation. In this article, I will provide common tips that are very important for every developer as they prepare and present technical presentations.

Less experience = Practice your talks

There will always be a first time, there will always be anxious moments. As first time speakers, we need to kick the fear out and be confident when delivering a presentation. I am sure we all have been given the advice to practice, know your content and don’t read your slides. You want the audience to pay attention and believe what you are saying and leave the presentation with an understanding of the key points or ideas from your presentation.

As first time speakers, don’t try to overdo your content. Be prepared and mindful of your time. Many speakers have the tendency to talk or explain everything they have learnt in the short time they have. This makes the presentation longer, boring and most importantly we are bound to lose our audiences attention. An effective presenter is one who knows how to deliver a presentation in the limited time they have.

Setup and Cleanup

As developers I have seen many complain and get frustrated over when a demo goes awry. It is important to note that regardless if you are a beginner or a seasoned presenter, know your demo thoroughly and test it. There is no excuse for a failed demo or demo that doesn’t run. As part of your practice, rehearse your demos a number of times.

Know all the steps to setup a demo on a brand new laptop if required with all the artifacts. This is like safety net. In case the laptop crashes before your presentation (it has happened to me couple of times), we must be able to recover the situation as fast as possible.

Create a clean setup and cleanup script for all your demos so that you can start your demo at any time, from any situation. Carry the backup on a thumb drive or keep them safe on cloud drives like Dropbox, OneDrive etc.

Be mindful of people in the back of the room

Keeping sentences short and use effective presentation tools so that the presentation, audio, videos, etc. are clear to everyone in the room. A good rule of thumb is to keep sentences on PowerPoint (PPT) restricted to single lines with short descriptions. Learn to talk through your demo and do not read your PPT. Use the PPT to guide the train of thoughts.

While showing Demo, adjust the screen size or font to accommodate viewers that may be in the back of the room. Often times, code shown using IDE’s can be very small and difficult to read to people at the back. So please take special attention in using screen zooming tools like ZoomIt. Make sure you have the attention and interest of every single person in the room.

In large rooms, make sure your energy and enthusiasm for the topic delivered reaches the very last person in the room. Avoid bad posture and speaking in monotone- in other words, don’t bore your audience!

Conclusion

These 3 tips are life lessons learnt from hundreds of presentations done in the past. Even seasoned presenters need to be mindful of these tips. These are common pitfalls and mistakes that each of us have made in our lifetime. Learning is a process, hope these learnings will help you become a better presenter.

Cloud – the new buzz work in the IT industry just like the .com days in my humble opinion. Organizations have been doing the whole concept of cloud for a while now. They are using a nice term to cover-up their dependency on cloud. Be it the use of email as a service, storage as a service, CRM as a service, online gaming and these examples can go on. All these are some form of utilizing cloud as a service phenomenon.

I would like to bring forth a few of the myths or fallacies that are associated with cloud. These are common assumptions and are dangerous assumptions when it comes to deploying or utilizing services from the cloud. When I mention the word “cloud”, it is not bound to any of the cloud service provider but an industry terminology.

Things don’t fail in cloud

One of the biggest myths that involve cloud computing is the reasoning behind failure. End of the day any cloud provider exposes the services as a combination of physical machines, storage, compute and monitoring just like any servers running in our own datacenters. Physical hardware is bound to break and there can be disruption in service. Many of the cloud vendors tend to build a resilience redundancy system behind the scenes by design. It is important for our applications to recognize this and build the retry logic in all the code we write.

Cloud will solve my performance problems

One of the fundamental tenant of cloud is “elasticity”. Many customers often say – Moving to cloud is going to solve my performance problems of my current on premise servers. If something doesn’t work great on your datacenters, the chances are remote it is going to perform any better on a hosted cloud environment. For a matter of fact, it is going to perform a lot worst in a cloud hosted scenario. Any cloud solution is a hosted shared infrastructure (mostly).

Cloud auto heals

In an on premise datacenter, we have complete control on the servers where our application is hosted. We know where the web tier, application tier, database tier and where the services tier is. We know the configurations and we know how they are inter connected physically at the rack, switch, and network level. We know exactly when something goes wrong since we have physical access to the server. When it comes to cloud, though we can have as many servers as possible for our various tiers, it is not possible to physically see the servers if they are alive. A lot of times we have seen customers see some failures and before they can investigate the high availability takes care of bringing an alternate environment seamlessly. So it is important to have some sort of monitoring inbuilt into the system which is sitting outside our environment to monitor these servers. There are specific cloud-first companies that do exactly this – they send you alerts via email when a particular server goes down in your cloud environment. Make sure you make monitoring an integral part of your architecture.

Conclusion

Cloud basics don’t change when compared to how our on premise world is. It is important for administrators, developers and architects to embrace it with caution yet confidently. The applications built these days should be intelligent enough to know about cloud deployment and safety nets. With these control and measures in place, we can embrace this new era of cloud computing with the proper expectations in mind.

Tamarian D2278 created a new article IF_THEN_ELSE_RapidSQL 6 years ago

This week I’ll take a look at IF-THEN-ELSE-ELSEIF syntax.  Next blog I’ll take a look at the similar CASE syntax and compare/contrast the two.  This will help document what I’ll cover in a live demo using Rapid SQL.

Lets look at the IF-THEN-ELSE syntax.  Rapid SQL has a nice template in its code workbench.  Use the ctrl+space bar to signal these!

Lets select the IF_ENDIF first.

IF THEN ELSE allows you to interrogate a variable then select a path for code execution.  The END IF ends the IF statement.  The ELSE is optional.

The THEN can contain another IF statement.  This is called nesting IF statements.  Oracle allows you to nest these like 250+ IF statements deep!  This is just plain silly.  I recommend not nesting beyond about 3 IF statements deep as the code gets confusing and hard to follow.  This is useful when there are more questions to ask of a data item such as the below example.

Notice I indented the nested IF statement at line 10.  I do this to make the flow of nesting easy to follow.

You can right-click on the workspace and select ‘Format SQL’ once your code is entered.

The other Rapid SQL IF statement template uses the IF – ELSIF syntax.  This is more efficient when interrogating the same column for multiple values.  Also, the IF statements should be in the order that they are likely to hit via the incoming data.  Code execution continues past the END IF after a hit is made with one of the IF statements.

Tamarian D2278 created a new article CASE Syntax using Rapid SQL 6 years ago

Hi,

Last blog we visited the IF-THEN-ELSE conditional syntax.  This blog, I’d like to convert those examples using the newer CASE syntax.  RapidSQL has templates for this syntax as well!

Using the ctrl + space bar, you can see the templates available in the code workbench of RapidSQL.

You can also type in ‘case’ then ctrl + spacebar…if you know the shortcut name for the templates, saves pulling up the whole list.

Like the IF-THEN-ELSE, these too can be nested…the WHEN clause can have another CASE statement…and like the IF-THEN-ELSE…these too can be nested about 250 deep or so…but as I said in the last blog, I just don’t see a need to go more than about 3 levels deep.  The code gets confusing and there has to be a better way to code the solution!

Lets convert the grade example using CASE.

Again, RapidSQL will prompt for the bind variable on line 3.

The same performance issue is realized with CASE that I mentioned with the IF-THEN-ELSE.  IF the student is given a ‘C’ most of the time…put the ‘C’ check at the top of the list.  Just like the IF-THEN-ELSE…when the condition is met, the remaining checks are not performed.

Which is better?  IF-THEN-ELSE or CASE?  Hard to say.  I’d leave it up to the developer which statement they prefer.  Another line of thought is to use the same coding techniques as other programs in the same series.  I’ve always promoted this in the past…make all the programs in a series look the same…same coding style.

Just an FYI…internally when Oracle9+ has the optimizing compiler option set to 3…CASE is converted back to IF-THEN-ELSE statements.  This tells me that IF-THEN-ELSE might be a bit more efficient…but in the long run…I don’t think it matters that much.  Use which ever you are more comfortable with.

Till next time,

Dan Hotka

Oracle ACE Director

Instructor/Author/CEO