Roger Cigol

Current status: "Use "Quick Reply" in the forums: Your C++ code samples will then paste in correctly !" - 6 months ago
Last login: 2 hours 45 minutes ago
Profile viewed: 3,561 views

Your Rank: 32

duf thanked Roger Cigol in topic CompareDate is ambiguous 21 hours 35 minutes ago
Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Sharing data between two Delphi Apps' in the forum. 1 week ago

To add to Remy's wise words your app will crash if your user copies anything else to the clip board from any application they happen to be using. Very weak design.

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'C++ 64-bit math' in the forum. 4 weeks ago

Interesting.

What do you mean by math calculations? Do you mean;

double a = 1.234;
double b = 9.876;
double c = a * b;

or do you mean

c = sin(a); // or some other library math function...

Regards Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Windows Update IDE Issue' in the forum. 4 weeks ago

It was not so easy as that with McAffee. Everytime you rebuilt a new Windows VCL exe file it treated it as a new threat so you had to go and manually add it to the "ok exe file" list - completely impractical for any developer to live with!

Read More...

Roger Cigol created a new topic ' Good news re: replacement forum' in the forum. 4 weeks ago

At last a promise (albeit only of "several months") of some
improvement here, from Atanas Popov

community.embarcadero.com/article/news/1...-gm-update-sept-2018

Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Windows Update IDE Issue' in the forum. 4 weeks ago

Hi Michael,

I bought a Dell Laptop (Win 10) a while back that came with McAffee. I couldn't get it to allow me to develop Embarcadero C++ exe applicatons. In the end, I'm afraid, I had to give up. I ditched McAffee and went over to the Trend product which has been my preferred solution on earlier Dell machines. This works fine. I did e-mail both McAffee (telling them of this problem) and Dell (telling them to stop shipping with McAffee and to go back to shipping with Trend).

You may be fighting a loosing battle, but I will watch this forum thread with interest

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Delphi 7 and Sound' in the forum. 2 months ago

For windows devices you can use the function waveInGetDevCaps()

see msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows...743841(v=vs.85).aspx

Regards, Roger

Read More...

P W65937 thanked Roger Cigol in topic Deploying a win32 application 2 months ago
Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Blocking debug into RTL head file, even with Step-Over(F8)?' in the forum. 2 months ago

A sure fire way to avoid this is to click your cursor on where you next want to ge to and then use Run | Trace to next source line (which is short cut : shift + F7).

Not what you want to know but a suitable work around.

Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Deploying a win32 application' in the forum. 2 months ago

If you are using C++.....

Have you also set the project option (under C++ linker) "link with delphi runtime packages" to "false" ?

Regarding creating installers (a separate issue) you could look at the Inno Setup (a free windows installer). I use this and find it easy to configure and very reliable.

www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'getting started with Unicode Db in Delphi 2010' in the forum. 2 months ago

You ask "is Access an SQL database" ?
Answer is not simple as the term "SQL database" is not precise. Access is not a server type database (ie it is not like MySQL or MS SQL Server etc). But you can compose queries in the MS Access application using SQL. More usefully: you can compose and execute queries and SQL commands from Delphi and/or Embarcadero C++ using the FireDAC tools.
Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'getting started with Unicode Db in Delphi 2010' in the forum. 2 months ago

I use FireDAC (which is not Firebird!) to connect to MS Access databases (Access 97 and Access 2003 format). But I am using the latest versions of Embarcadero products. I am not sure what is provided with "Delphi 2010".

Can you upgrade to the latest Delphi ?

Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Web / Mobile Development' in the forum. 2 months ago

"EMB FMX is not quite there yet, beta is the best description i could give FMX on Android even on 10.2.3" might be said of XE7 but I think is a little negative for 10.2.3. And if you want to use the same codebase for both Android, Apple and Windows then FMX (firemonkey) is the way to go.
As for web server development, Embarcadero's purchase of Sencha is a sign that they are working on long term plans to integrate this area into their products. It's not there today, but sometimes you have to plan for tomorrow...
Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'VCL: Sub-Class Unresolved Externals' in the forum. 2 months ago

that all looks ok. So there must be a more subtle reason why the linker can't find the function. How to track this down? You could try adding a global static variable outside of the class and confirm that you can find this (assign a value to it) in your other unit. Then move it into the class, etc. Linker errors can be a bit more fiddly to track it down.
Difficult to help more....
Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'VCL: Sub-Class Unresolved Externals' in the forum. 2 months ago

Hi Hans,
A linker error means that the linker can't find the object, in your case the function TStringList* __fastcall GetTo().
So first thing to check is have you actually got a function in our code:

TStringList* __fastcall TbhsRecipients::GetTo()
{
// ... body of your function here
};

It's very easy to forget the TbhsRecipients:: bit or the __fastcall bit, etc such that the compiler thinks this is a different function

Always check the obvious stuff first .....

Regards, Roger.

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Forums unusable' in the forum. 2 months ago

I agree with you Mark, and add that the topic icon is already meaningless since there is no guidance on what any of the symbols mean.
We all wait for a new forum together.....
Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'FMX vs VCL On Mutiple Platforms' in the forum. 2 months ago

VCL is for Windows (32 or 64 bit) only.
For multi-device you must use FireMonkey
Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'Serial communication component files missing' in the forum. 2 months ago

I think TMS Asynch is not supplied as part of Community Edition. You need to purchase this from TMS software. I can't see any reason why the purchased product shouldn't run with community edition but best to check this with TMS.

Regards, Roger

Read More...

Roger Cigol replied to the topic 'FireDAC purchase' in the forum. 2 months ago

How I understand it:

You do get FireDAC with Professional - but only for use with local databases (ie those resident on the same machine as the application exe). The client /server approach requires that you purchase "enterprise" version. Of course this is a marketing decision. It's a dog eat dog world out there and Embarcadero have to pitch the price of their products such that they remain competitive. At any level there is always going to be a group of people who can't quite afford it. We all have to trust that Embarcadero marketing dept. judge it correctly such that they can continue to improve/develop the product(s) and survive.

Regards Roger.

Read More...