Andreas S2073

Last login: 5 months ago
Profile viewed: 981 views

Your Rank: 48

Nullable Types. Great. If I had one wish: Disable comparisons with Nullable Types.

Ah, now it's clear! Thank you.

> 'So i cannot return an object created inside a function?' - Marco's not saying that.The first paragraph of "What is an Unsafe Reference?" says, as far I understand, exactly this. But the docs say Delphi can handle temporary objects.

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Seattle/en/Automatic_Reference_Counting_in_Delphi_Mobile_Compilers"A very interesting side effect of using ARC memory management is that the compiler can handle the lifetime of temporary objects returned by fu

I dont understand this Point: "A classic example is that of a function creating and returning an instance" So i cannot return an object created inside a function? And why "could" and "might"? ARC has typically a quite deterministic behaviour. What ar

Are there any new Delphi language Features?

Andreas S2073 added a reply in discussion TTask.Future has no performanc... 2 years ago

No, I am not reading the value. In the list I save it as future interface. And this part is very fast. After that I loop over the list with calling .value on each element. And that takes the time. Another strange behaviour is, that when stepping through the list that calls .value the processor seems to use only (in sum) a single core....

Andreas S2073 started a new discussion TTask.Future has no performanc... 2 years ago

Is there something I can do to see why a loop that calls TTask.Future every runis exactly as fast as a simple seriell loop without parallelization? The run itself is fast but inside I add every Object (result from the Future) as IFuture to a TObjectList and a loop over the list with calling .Value on the Object stops and takes exactly as long as...

Andreas S2073 posted a comment on RAD Studio 2015 Roadmap 2 years ago

> More regarding #1. The Delphi language itself is more than a decade behind in terms of features as well, and Xe8 offers ZERO language enhancements++ I was very disappointed as well. In XE7 at least a few tiny things were added. But in XE8 - nothing

Andreas S2073 thanks user 'artplus' in the forum message ' Free Interface. Is this safe?'. 3 years ago
Andreas S2073 replied to the topic 'Free Interface. Is this safe?' in the forum. 3 years ago

Works :)

I hope reference counting will come globally some day.
Read More...

Andreas S2073 replied to the topic 'Free Interface. Is this safe?' in the forum. 3 years ago

"you need it as interface" means that different objects can be created. They only have the interface in common.

But I think I understood.
- delete this 3 interface functions
- copy them from TInterfacedObject
- treat it like a "real" interface
Read More...

- My Code was an object (without any interfaces).
- In a next step I needed to pass this object as an interface to a function.
So not to destroy my logic and memory menagement I added an interface and copied the necessary functions (addref, release, queryinterface) from TInterfacedPersistent (because direct inheritance was not possible).
- Now I additionally need the object inside the "main" program as an interface. So whtat to do?
Read More...

So the conclusion would be: if you want to do something like in my example, don't use TInterfacedPersistent?
Read More...

Nevertheless _Release is called. And TInterfacedPersistent's implementation of _Release decides not to do reference counting.
So _Release on a freed object will be called (but a pointer <> nil).

In my Version I have at least a nil pointer.
Read More...

So what would be the way to destroy this correctly?
Read More...

Andreas S2073 created a new topic ' Free Interface. Is this save?' in the forum. 3 years ago

Is this Code save?

IFoo = interface
    procedure Hallo();
    procedure Free();
  end;

TFoo = class(TInterfacedPersistent, IFoo)
    public
      procedure Hallo();
      destructor Destroy(); override;
  end;

procedure TForm1.btn1Click(Sender: TObject);
var
  oFoo: IFoo;
begin
  oFoo := TFoo.Create;
  oFoo.Free;
  oFoo := nil; // Calls  _Release with a nil self. But TInterfacedPersistent._Release seems to handle this situation?
end;

Read More...

Andreas S2073 replied to the topic 'Difference between "InheritsFrom" and "is"?' in the forum. 3 years ago

It seems it was the recently introduced debugger bug (I think only Win64).

It is a not really reproducable bug that seldom the debugger does weired control flow.

for i := 0 to ... starts with 1
or
if oPanel.Visible skips the block even if (and the inspector also says yes) it is visible

Sometimes a switch to 32 bit and back helps, sometimes a restart helps, ...
Read More...

Andreas S2073 created a new topic ' Difference between "InheritsFrom" and "is"?' in the forum. 3 years ago

What is the difference between "InheritsFrom()" and "is"?
Until recently I thought they do the same, but now I have a case where InheritsFrom works, but "is" says False.
Read More...

Andreas S2073 thanks user 'artplus' in the forum message ' Weaken References (ARC)?'. 3 years ago