Ted Wagner

Last login: 7 years ago
Profile viewed: 769 views

No Rank

Ted Wagner replied to the topic 'XE7 IDE project rebuild problem' in the forum. 7 years ago

I appreciate the efforts very much Roger.
Over the weekend I took the plunge and bought the upgrade to 10.1 Berlin, much to the dismay of my Chief of Staff. (I am taking her to Scotland in two weeks, so she should be appeased.) Maybe the rebuild problem, and a few other headaches I've had with XE7, will go away. We'll see, if Embarcadero ever sends me the license info!

Read More...

Ted Wagner replied to the topic 'XE7 IDE project rebuild problem' in the forum. 7 years ago

Factory default key mappings made no difference.

Read More...

Oh, believe me, if it works with the default keyboard mappings, I'll be thrilled!!! It will take me all of five seconds to get used to the old keystrokes. I'll give it a try as soon as I get home later today, but I'm not optimistic -- it seems to me that if it works properly with the default key mappings, it would also work using toolbar buttons and menu selections with no F-key shortcuts at all. But it will be worth a try ...

Read More...

I use the Visual Studio keyboard mapping in Delphi, since that's the IDE I have to use at work, so F5 is the correct key for "run in debugger". However, the problem doesn't follow the keystroke; if I use either the toolbar button or the debug menu, I still get (re)builds when I don't need them.
The only thing that works for me is to r-click on the project in the explorer window, click "Build", then hit F5 the moment the build completes. The app then runs in the debugger. If I wait a split second too long, it starts compiling a different project in the group, which fails because the other project was being *compiled* instead of *built*. I then I have to do a complete rebuild of my active project.

Read More...

Thank you for the reply Roger. Alas no -- using the menus doesn't make any difference, I still have the same (re)build problems.

Read More...

Ted Wagner created a new topic ' XE7 IDE project rebuild problem' in the forum. 7 years ago

I'm currently using XE7, and I have a project group with about a dozen VCL projects in it, some of them rather large.
When I have one of my projects selected as the active project and I click F5 to debug the application after I build the application, the IDE tries to rebuild all of the projects in the group, when it shouldn't be building any, since (1) nothing has been modified, and (2) I just built the project I want to debug.
This is causing me to lose quite a bit of time in my code / debug cycle. It is especially troublesome because my applications use compiler variables for conditional compilation and some units have to be rebuilt for specific projects. When the IDE tries to rebuild a project I don't have selected, it fails because a particular unit was not rebuilt. This happens despite the fact I have no inter-project dependencies defined.
I have recently discovered that if I hit F5 within 0.5 seconds after building my project, it runs without further rebuilds. If I wait any longer than that, it tries to rebuild the entire group, errors out because of the conditional compilation issue described above, and I have to start over.
Is this a known issue in XE7? Is it fixed in any later version? Is there anything I can do to fix it in XE7?

Read More...