Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unblocking Tethering

Unblocking Tethering 7 years 11 months ago #2528

I installed an application with WiFi tethering to a laptop. Multiple mobile devices have a companion app. All PCs are on the same network and on the same subnet (10.0.0.#).

My development laptop can connect to the mobile devices without problems, however the other laptop doesn't detect any other device when trying to connect. It is running the same app that is being run on my development laptop.

What could be causing it not to see any devices? (obviously it isn't a coding issue, otherwise my development machine would have the same problem) so it must be something to do with the environment of the other laptop.

Suggestions:
1. A DLL or other supporting code is needed that has not been transferred
2. Some virus protection/firewall is causing it to be blocked (note: the first time I ran the app it asked me if I wanted to let it through the regular Windows 7 firewall. I said yes.) This laptop also has another virus protection programme on it (I think it is Norton's).

I have also tested this code on another windows 7 PC and it worked fine.

App was compiled in XE8, but started development in XE7.

Unblocking Tethering 7 years 11 months ago #2538

I would first look at your firewall on the desktop machine, and if your router is smart enough it could also be configured to ask a firewall and could be blocking packets as well.

From the documentation:
The firewall must allow incoming UDP connections.
UDP ports from 2020 to 2040 must be open
TCP ports from 2035 to 2100 must be open.

Also, Since there is a requirement to be on the same network, it possible that multicast might need to be enabled, and is being filtered at the local firewall as well.
  • Page:
Moderators: April Anne