Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

• Page:

TOPIC: Changes to how TDS debug files are created in XE8?

Changes to how TDS debug files are created in XE8? 6 years 5 months ago #2026

Does anyone know if there was an intentional change to the way TDS debug files are created in XE8?

I delivered our first application build using XE8 to QA and they began having a lot of issues with automated test scripts developed for Test Complete. It appears that something with the TDS file has changed preventing the test script from referencing certain components by name. One specific example is a ToolButton on a ToolBar.

In XE7 and earlier, The TestComplete script could reference a ToolBar button like this:
Aliases.Project1.Form1.ToolButton1.Click(12, 12);

With XE8, the ToolButton1 name is not recognized, forcing the option of referencing the ToolButtons by index:
Aliases.Project1.Form1.ToolBar1.ClickItem(0, false);

I know some might say this is SmartBear's problem (developers of TestComplete) but their software isn't what's changed. I put together a test app with a form, toolbar and toolbutton and compiled it with the same options in XE7 and XE8, including the linker option of placing debug information in a separate TDS file. TestComplete recognizes the tool button by name with the XE7 EXE+TDS files but not with the XE8-created files.

Our QA group has over 2000 automation scripts which will be affected by this, so I'm hoping there's something I can do to alleviate this for them, other than having my dev team revert back to XE7.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

P.s. I tried posting this to the new "Answers" page but it refuses(!) to submit when I click that button.

Changes to how TDS debug files are created in XE8? 6 years 4 months ago #2097

Hi Jessie,

Are you experiencing this issue with a VCL or FMX app?
~/jt

Changes to how TDS debug files are created in XE8? 6 years 4 months ago #2101

This is a Win32 VCL app. Thanks for your interest :)

Changes to how TDS debug files are created in XE8? 6 years 4 months ago #2149

Thanks for the clarification. There hasn't been any specific changes worth mentioning. In order for use to investigate further, can you send us copies of your TDS files for both XE87 and XE8. Easiest would be to open a bug at quality.embarcadero.com and attach those files. Please respond back with your Jira number.
Thanks,
~/jt

Changes to how TDS debug files are created in XE8? 6 years 4 months ago #2154

Done. The number I think you are looking for is RSP-11205.

Here's the URL to the issue: quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-11205

or, perhaps the InternalTrackingLink?: http://vmsfjira:8665/browse/RS-63363

Thank you!
  • Page:
Moderators: April Anne