Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

• Page:

TOPIC: Tooltip evaluation & debug watch not working

Tooltip evaluation & debug watch not working 6 years 6 months ago #1389

C++ Builder XE7 & XE8, VCL

I assumed this was a bug in XE7, but it is still not working in XE8 so, being such a primary feature, I am starting to suspect something my be wrong in my project.

Tooltip evaluation and watches work fine for local variables, but they do not work for class members. I.e. if I hover over Panel1->Width, nothing is shown. If I add it to my watch list, the value field lists an error message saying Width is not a member of Panel1. Having to debug the old-fashioned way, using extra variables or even ShowMessage() is getting a little tiring..

Anyone any ideas? Thanks!

Tooltip evaluation & debug watch not working 6 years 6 months ago #1423

Do you have the same problem for both 32-bit and 64-bit? Does it work in a one button app?
~/jt

Tooltip evaluation & debug watch not working 6 years 6 months ago #1459

It's only in 64-bit. I had that tagged, but I do not see any of my tags showing up in my post so I probably did something wrong. I take it you cannot reproduce this problem?

I created a VCL Forms application with a single button, and I can easily reproduce the problem in 64-bit (again, works fine in 32-bit). Here's a screen shot of XE7. Note if I hover my mouse over "Width" I get no tooltip, and you can see the error in the watch list. You will have to take my word the result in XE8 is the same (it's on a Mac and I cannot get it to do a screen shot).
Untitled.png

PS: I do get tooltips over the class itself (here Button1), and can then find the Width property that way. Or just assign it to a variable..

Tooltip evaluation & debug watch not working 6 years 6 months ago #1481

I just reproduced this with the 64-bit toolchain. Looks like a bug and I'll look into it.
~/jt

Tooltip evaluation & debug watch not working 6 years 4 months ago #2205

J wrote: I just reproduced this with the 64-bit toolchain. Looks like a bug and I'll look into it.
~/jt

Can I expect a fix for this soon?

Tooltip evaluation & debug watch not working 6 years 3 months ago #2554

Apparently proper support is not included with a subscription.

Update 1 has just been released and the fix list does not mention this bug. I realise I may be the only person in the world using C++ Builder, but I have been loyal to it since v1.0 and pay for a subscription every year so I really like to get some love from you guys.
  • Page:
Moderators: April Anne