• Page:

TOPIC: Good laptop to run Delphi on?

Good laptop to run Delphi on? 4 months 6 days ago #14844

I have to switch from using Delphi on a desktop to a laptop. What processor and how much RAM do you guys recommend? What laptop brands do you use? I want one that is light and the battery lasts for several hours.

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Good laptop to run Delphi on? 4 months 5 days ago #14862

Assuming you are running 10.2 it will run on any new Windows 10 lap top. But it will run better on a more powerful machine so spend as much as you can afford (or a little more). If you are able to go towards the top end whether you go for a large hard disc or more working RAM (assuming you can't afford both) depends on your perceived use. If you spend a lot of time developing only a few projects then go for the memory. But I (professional developer) end up with lots of projects and need a large hard disc. Beaware of the need for a large C: drive if you suspect you are going to need to keep legacy projects supported by keeping old versions of Delphi running as well as the latest one. Each new version gets bigger than the previous one.

Brands? I don't think this is the place to recommend or otherwise. Is there really that much to choose between the brands? I suspect not.

Regards, Roger

Good laptop to run Delphi on? 4 months 5 days ago #14875

I am using Lenovo w540 expensive but evey penny/ with Flash disk/ the disk is small for today application i am left with 50g and working from external disk. Supper fast and compilation are fast.

Good laptop to run Delphi on? 4 months 5 days ago #14878

I run Delphi XE2 natively on a Dell Inspiron N7110 w/ 8GB RAM running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1. I also run newer IDE versions in VMs on the same laptop.

Good laptop to run Delphi on? 4 months 5 days ago #14879

I was thinking of installing in VMs too. Are you using VM player, server or workstation? Does it run well on 8GB of RAM?

Good laptop to run Delphi on? 4 months 4 days ago #14888

ioan wrote: Are you using VM player, server or workstation?

I use VMWare Workstation Player.

ioan wrote: Does it run well on 8GB of RAM?

It is OK. It helps that most of my VMs are using XP as the Guest OS, so they require fewer resources from the Host machine. But recent RAD Studio versions won't work on XP anymore, which is why I don't have the latest versions installed. The last version I have installed with XP is 10.0 Seattle, and even it has some troubles running. I have a Win7 VM, but I don't have any IDEs installed in it yet.

• Page:
Moderators: April Anne