Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Is Delphi a viable solution?

Posts 1 to 3 of 3
7 months 1 week ago #6946
We have a number of applications created in Delphi over the last 10 years. Our company was recently acquired by a larger company and of course the questions are asked:
1: Is Delphi (Embarcadero) going to be in business 10 years from now
2: How easy is it to find US based Delphi developers
2.1: What's their annual average salary
3: Are there any programs out there that convert Delphi to C#
3.1: Whats the average success rate
There were some more questions asked but here are the basic ones. Any input from you would really help me to make a case.
Thanks
Jan
  • Steve J
  • Gold User
  • Thanks 3
7 months 1 week ago #7015
> 1: Is Delphi (Embarcadero) going to be in business 10 years from now
No one can predict this. It has been here for 22 years though.Will Apple still be in business in 10 years? Same answer
> 2: How easy is it to find US based Delphi developers
A good start is to subscribe to https://www.delphijobsboard.comYou target the right people
>3: Are there any programs out there that convert Delphi to C#
Not that I know of. I would not do this anyway if you are in a field where performances are a requirement. Native code is always better than managed/interpreted/JustInTimeAlso, switching to C# would cut you from cross-platform development.What if the new business owner wants a Mac version and/or an iOS/Android companion?RAD Studio lets you use 1 codebase for all platforms.
6 months 2 weeks ago #7150
I'm a Delphi developer for over 20 years. My company is asking the same questions. Saying "Will Apple still be in business in 10 years?" Is not the same because we all know how well Apple's financial situation is. We don't know anything about Embarcardero (at least i do not know). I do know, the newest Delphi (with most interesting features) is out of my reach. This means for me: just a few customers have to pay a lot to have the company going.
If only the starter edition had mobile features (make it free but you may not earn anything with it). I would be very happy. One month trail is just to short.
Moderators: @aprilanne