• Page:

TOPIC: Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together?

Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together? 1 week 3 days ago #14729

Is it possible to install the Delphi Starter edition and the C++ Builder Starter edition on the same computer? When I tried to install C++ Builder on a computer which already had Delphi installed, a message popped up saying I had to uninstall Delphi first (or words to that effect). I ended up installing Delphi on my desktop and C++ Builder on my laptop, but it's rather inconvenient. I'd like to install both of them on my desktop (which I mostly use for development).

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together? 6 days 18 hours ago #14788

David wrote: Is it possible to install the Delphi Starter edition and the C++ Builder Starter edition on the same computer? When I tried to install C++ Builder on a computer which already had Delphi installed, a message popped up saying I had to uninstall Delphi first (or words to that effect). I ended up installing Delphi on my desktop and C++ Builder on my laptop, but it's rather inconvenient. I'd like to install both of them on my desktop (which I mostly use for development).

Those are separate and individual products based on the same IDE. If you want them both installed, you should be installing the full RAD Studio instead, which includes both Delphi and C++Builder. Don't install them separately on the same machine.

Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together? 6 days 3 hours ago #14810

I take it the answer is "no", then. I was referring specifically to the starter editions, not the commercial editions. I don't see any starter edition for RAD Studio. So you have to buy a license, correct?

Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together? 5 days 10 hours ago #14823

Hi David,

The answer is in fact "yes-ish". Its possible if you take a look at this article:
community.embarcadero.com/blogs/entry/in...starter-side-by-side

It does note at the bottom though "This option is not officially supported." which I would understand to mean it works, but its not necessarily designed with that configuration in mind.

I'm sure it will be perfectly fine for most starter configuration purposes, though.

Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together? 4 days 21 hours ago #14854

David wrote: I don't see any starter edition for RAD Studio.

Correct, per Embarcadero's FAQs:

www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter-faq

Is there a RAD Studio Starter edition? Or Starter edition of HTML5 Builder?

Only Delphi Starter edition and C++Builder Starter edition are available at this time.

David wrote: So you have to buy a license, correct?

If you want to use RAD Studio, yes. Delphi Starter and C++Starter are not intended to be used together:

Can I purchase and use both Delphi Starter and C++Builder Starter together to create a mini RAD Studio?

No. Only one or the other can be installed.

Delphi Starter edition & C++ Builder Starter edition together? 3 days 20 hours ago #14883

Didn't seem to work, but thanks anyway. Maybe they've closed that loophole. Why they let people use the Starter edition of Delphi or C++ Builder but not both, I don't understand. I guess I'll just have to run them on two computers. I can't afford to buy the commercial license for RAD Studio, unfortunately.

• Page:
Moderators: April Anne