Install Delphi and C++Builder Starter Side-by-Side

Posted by on in Tools

If you already installed C++Builder Starter, and want to install Delphi Starter (available at an 100% discount for a limited time) you can do that. It just takes an extra step.

Important note: This option is not officially supported. The FAQ specifically states the correct process is to uninstall the old starter, or use a different VM. If you don't mind going down an unsupported route, proceed at your own risk with the steps shown in this article. You may run into troubles though, and support will be unable to help you.

First, you need to launch the LicenseManager. You can find it in the BIN folder inside your RAD Studio / Delphi / C++Builder install directory.

Once you launch the LicenseManager you need to use "Add Serial" to add the additional serial number.

Then select the new serial number on the left and click "Register" where you can provide your EDN username and password.

Now you can run the installer "radstudio10_1_esd.exe" again, and it will give you an option to install your second product.

And after just a few minutes you are ready to go!

Good luck and see you at the boot camp!

Important note: This option is not officially supported. The FAQ specifically states the correct process is to uninstall the old starter, or use a different VM. If you don't mind going down an unsupported route, proceed at your own risk with the steps shown in this article. You may run into troubles though, and support will be unable to help you. 

Comments

• Ian T28520
    Ian T28520 Monday, 26 December 2016

Does this still work ? Seems not to with with the Update 2 version.

• hillbillyJim
    hillbillyJim Friday, 30 December 2016

First I would like to thank the folks at embarcadero for releasing these starter editions at no charge. For a hobby developer like me it means a lot because free apps don't pay that well. Now I can finally retire my copy of cbuilder 6 which has served me well since 2002.

This is what worked for me using different license keys on update 2...
    1) Install C++ builder using license
    2) start up License manager, add and register Delphi key
    3) Start RAD Studio then Tools menu - Manage Platforms
    4) Add Delphi

I can start both c++ builder and Delphi at the same time, running what seems to be two instances of RAD Studio, but compile and running produces errors not present when running separately

• George Birbilis
    George Birbilis Tuesday, 27 December 2016

worked for me, I think I first installed it with no license keys, then went to license manager and installed both Delphi Starter and C++ Builder Starter ones. Had to register the 2nd one via Register button, the 1st had been registered already in the past (seems update 2 has same license as before) with my account

• Ian T28520
    Ian T28520 Thursday, 29 December 2016

Not for me. I have separate licence numbers for both Delphi and C++ Starters, but I'm only ever offered Delphi. Maybe Jim McKeeth can comment ?

• Jim McKeeth
    Jim McKeeth Saturday, 31 December 2016

This isn't officially supported, so may not work anymore.

• Ian T28520
    Ian T28520 Saturday, 31 December 2016

Shame. Poor marketing if EMB don't want to encourage potential purchasers of paid-for versions to try out the product !

• George Birbilis
    George Birbilis Thursday, 29 December 2016

try this:
    - uninstall rad studio
    - install the update 2 without entering any key (will get just the RAD Studio IDE with no languages)
    - launch the license manager and add the two license keys you have (may need to also press the Register button for each one there if those license keys haven't been registered to your account)
    - run the installer again, it should offer to install both languages (Delphi and C++)
    - launch RAD studio from respective Delphi and C++ Builder icons at start menu

• Ian T28520
    Ian T28520 Friday, 30 December 2016

Sorry, still doesn't work. It always installs Delphi. If I uncheck Delphi, the installation just exits. If I run the installer a second time, it forces an uninstall first, then re-installs Delphi only. Same result if I delete the Starter licences.

• George Birbilis
    George Birbilis Thursday, 22 September 2016

Hi Jim, the FAQ link you mention for some reason redirects me to:
    https://www.embarcadero.com/es/products/delphi/starter-faq
    (adds an /es/ - but I'm in Greece)
    which has two broken links to Delphi and C++ Builder FAQs at its bottom end, aka
    http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/frequently-asked-questions
    and
    http://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder/faq
    hovering over those two links you'll see at the browser statusbar that the URL they point to is totally different from the one in that text

trying the text version of those urls, the 1st one is broken anyway, the 2nd one takes me to some spanish content again

• George Birbilis

using the Earth icon at the top-right I managed to see the https://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder/faq in English, but still those two links should be fixed since they point elsewhere, plus the correct link text (and link address of course) for the Delphi FAQ should be instead http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/faq

• Jim McKeeth
    Jim McKeeth Thursday, 22 September 2016

Glad you found the right links.

• George Birbilis

can the community site team do something about the e-mail notifications? got 3 ones for this last comment of yours. I think I get one notification for someone replying to my comment directly and another two ones (which I usually get instead of one) since I'm subscribed to the topic. Wonder if others see this behavior too

• Jim McKeeth
    Jim McKeeth Thursday, 22 September 2016

I've not seen that, but I will submit a ticket to the web team.

• NizamUlMulk
    NizamUlMulk Friday, 2 September 2016

I've installed C++ Starter.
    Now the Delphi installer doesn´t install Delphi, only see the C++ installation... How must do for install Delphi and not C++?

• Jim McKeeth
    Jim McKeeth Wednesday, 14 September 2016

Technically it isn't supported, but you can try following the steps outlined here.

• Łukasz B12100
    Łukasz B12100 Thursday, 1 September 2016

I did install the c++ builder after delphi, and got a beep + nothing happens when i try to run it.

• Łukasz B12100

The solution is to completely uninstall the old version - than install it from the web installer.

• Łukasz B12100

dwreport is launched in the background.

• Ilya S
    Ilya S Wednesday, 31 August 2016

Great! Get both Starters working via radstudio10_1_esd.exe
    Thanks!

• Jim McKeeth
    Jim McKeeth Thursday, 1 September 2016

Note: This option is not officially supported, proceed at your own risk with the steps shown in this article.

• Please login first in order for you to submit comments

Check out more tips and tricks in this development video: