It's Computer Science Engineering Week 2015 - December 7 to 13!
Each year, we celebrate Computer Science Education Week. There are events happening on and all over the world. Code.Org is encouraging everyone to spend an hour teaching others how to code. Apple is inviting kids to come into Apple stores to spend an hour coding. I am encouraging all of our developer customers to spend an hour with their kids, their local schools or the kids of family friends and spend an hour showing them how to write programs. How to start?
First Step - go to the Computer Science Education Week web site at https://csedweek.org/
Second Step - check out Code.org's hour of code site - https://code.org/ and also volunteer your time to help at your local schools showing them how fast you can build applications with 10 Seattle.
Third Step - take your computer and show kids what you do when you are working on applications.
Fourth Step - teach kids to build their first RAD Studio, Delphi and C++Builder application by going through one of our many online tutorials - http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Seattle/en/Tutorials
Fifth Step - donate money and technology to your favorite college alumni computer science fund, computer programming related charity, project or local school. Can't find one? Consider donating to my favorite cause - The Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Grace Hopper Conference Support Fund. This year we sent the most young women of any college to the conference in Houston Texas (October 14-16, 2015). I've included the donation steps for giving at the end of this blog post.
Spend some time with young, aspiring programmers this week. Show them what you know. Show them how cool programming is. Show them how they can create their first desktop and mobile applications. It only takes an hour or less!!!
And most of all - Have Fun this week teaching kids how to program!
Donate to the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Computer Science Grace Hopper Conference Fund
If I have ever helped you in some way during my past 30+ years working with our developer tools, if we’ve worked together, if I ever helped you get the most out of our products, or if you love computer programming, please donate whatever you can to the Cal Poly Computer Science Grace Hopper Fund. You can easily donate online. Go to the Cal Poly Giving web site and make an online donation:
- Go to the Cal Poly Giving Site - https://securelb.imodules.com/s/699/donations.aspx?sid=699&gid=1&pgid=961&cid=2272
- Put in your donation amount
- In the designation section, click the radio button for "Select College(s) and Program(s)"
- A pop-up window will appear. In the search box enter "Grace Hopper Conference Support Fund" and check the box that appears
- Click the "continue" button.
- Select the "Give Now" button
- Fill in the information about you section, for your relationship with Cal Poly, choose Friend (unless you are an alumni, parent, student, etc.)
- Click Save and Continue
- Fill in your billing address information and credit card info
- Click Next
- The last page in the process, review your info and click the submit button!
- To make sure that the steps above are correct, I just donated $500. If you live in the US, the donation is tax deductible. Thank you in advance for giving to the Cal Poly Grace Hopper Conference Fund. And thank you to everyone I have met and collaborated with during my first 46 years of my programming and my 30.5 years working with RAD Studio, Delphi and C++Builder. I look forward to many more years of creating great software with you.
Please login first in order for you to submit comments